• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

co2

smit221

Apprentice
Reaction score
just in case you have a hose leak on your c02 in line...can you just shut off the gas when you are done with 1 glass of beer and turn it on the next day you want a beer??? anything wrong with that??

That's what I do. Just make sure it's at the PSI you want it to be before you close off the gas for the day. Otherwise you'll lose carbonation.

+1, I bump with CO2 only when minimal beer is coming out of the faucet.

Mark

I am worried about CO2 impurities.I am convinced that some nasty post drink mornings has to do more with Benzene than anything else. I am glad I primed my last batch. Where in the NW,Idaho,Montana etc can I get totally guaranteed
non benzene CO2?? anyone know??The dealers will lie thru their teeth to keep selling any gas.And god knows they overcharge for it.

Over charge?  $1 per pound, my 10 pound lasts me months with 5 taps.

smit221 said:
I am worried about CO2 impurities.
I am convinced that some nasty post drink mornings has to do more with Benzene than anything else.

I'm more convinced that it's Acetaldehyde and Fusel alcohols. Both of these are naturally occurring compounds that are involved in hangovers. Acetaldehyde is also created in your body as the liver breaks down alcohol.

I think I said this once before: buy your CO2 from a supplier that has beverage accounts. You can go a step further and look for someone that does ultra pure CO2 for breweries, but this relates to how much Oxygen is left in the gas. Quite simply, the allowable level of oxygen in beverage gas is 1500x the amount of allowable benzene. Oxygen is the biggest factor in the breakdown of beer flavor and quality.

It seems to me that if Benzene were a real issue, it'd be a nightmare for soft drink manufacturers. I just don't see it discussed in any trade or brewing chemistry publications.

The dealers will lie thru their teeth to keep selling any gas.

No. Not really. At least not in the US. They have a liability issue from that since sourcing is traceable and their customer base is large.

smit221 said:
just in case you have a hose leak on your c02 in line...can you just shut off the gas when you are done with 1 glass of beer and turn it on the next day you want a beer??? anything wrong with that??

Use StarSan or soapy water to find the leak then use a small gear clamp to fix it.

I am worried about CO2 impurities.

I'm not. I have a five pound tank that I exchange at the local gas supply store. It's food grade. And it isn't that expensive. Maybe $16 per exchange, and a five pound tank lasts for at least ten kegs, but I've never counted.  I would be concerned about getting the CO2 from someone who fills airsoft tanks, because I doubt that is food grade. But the tanks I get are.

The dealers will lie thru their teeth to keep selling any gas.

I've never had that concern. I tell them what it is for, and usually they have curious questions. Not only that, but they make sure I'm getting food grade gas, not industrial. They're men. They like beer. Besides that, there is more than one dealer. It doesn't make good business sense to piss off customers who have other options.

Back