• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Tripel for newbie

chr1st0ph3r

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I've never done a Belgian beer, and decided I'd start with a Tripel.  Just a couple of questions:
1.  Would a candi sugar impact the flavour?  That is, if I used an amber versus a pale, what different should I expect?  I'm just curious as to whether the sugar impacts the flavour profile or if it's purely the colour and alcohol content.
2.  When would you add the sugar?  I assume if I use cane sugar, I'd need to add it earlier on in the boil for inversion.  What if I use candi sugar instead?

I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Chris

I've been brewing Belgian beers for at least 20 years and have visited many breweries in Belgium and talked with their brewers several times.

1. Yes, real Belgian Candi Syrup impacts the flavor. The darker colored syrups add more complex dried fruits and caramel flavors. for a Tripel stick with the light syrups. You will taste the the light syrup in the resulting beer.

2. I would add it at the beginning of the boil. if you add it later in the boil you'll get more sweet flavors. Don't use cane sugar!!! Buy Belgian Candi Syrups - there is a HUGE difference.

Back