• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Loss of alpha acids for aging hops?

beerdog

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a way to account for the loss of alpha acids due to the aging of stored hops?  I have noticed a lower than expected bitterness in some recipes when I use hops that are several months old.  I store my hops in the freezer, and try to keep them as airtight as possible.

Yes. The individual HSI (Hop Storage Index) is built in on the details page for each variety. For a more detailed explanation and further links, go to:
http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/04/15/brewing-hops-storage-preserving-precious-hops/

Thanks, antiphile, I completely missed the Hops storage Index in the tools menu.  Now I guess I'll have to get busy setting that up for the hops that I have on hand.  That should eliminate, or at least help improve one more consistency issue with my recipes.  8)

Back