• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

induction cookers

jwshuff3

New Forum Member
Reaction score
can anybody recommend an induction cooker for making 8-10 gallon batches?

I'm not sure what country you're in, but in the US, there seem to be only two flavors of induction burners.

1) 1800 watt, 120 volt. That's about 6100 btu. This isn't enough power to boil 12 gallons of water.

2) 3400 watt, 240 volt. This gets close to 12,000 btu. Probably still not enough.

You'll need about 100 btu per lb of liquid to get up to boiling (which includes radiant waste heat), then another 970 btu per pound of steam you want to boil off. To yield a 10 gallon batch, you'll need at least 12 gallons preboil. Twelve gallons weighs about 100 lbs and you'll want to boil off about 2 gallons per hour, or 16.6 lbs of steam.

100*100 = 10000 btu to get to 212oF. It'll take 50 minutes to get to the edge of a boil. The 220 volt burner can do this.

Yet....

16.6*970 = 16100 btu added to make steam. This exceeds the capacity of the 220 volt models that seem readily available.

Once the wort is at 212oF, you only have to add energy equal to what it would shed during an hour of rest, which is usually 40 to 60oF. That scenario tops out at 6000 btu for 12 gallons.

6000+16100 = 22100 minimum btu per hour for the boil. Increase that if you want to get to a boil in under a half hour.

Bottom line, you'll need option two to make 5.5 gallon batches. Beyond that, I suggest propane.

metron-brewer said:
Or go electric. I made the switch and love it.

Good point. I've used a few electric systems and they work great.

Thanks for catching that omission.

Ever since I've been brewing, both indoors and out, I've used foam board insulation around my kettles to reduce the heat required, as well as reduce the heat loss into the house when indoors.  I keep the insulation about 4" above the base of the kettle, wrap the entire diameter.  Cover the entire hoop of insulation with heavy foil, and yes, the whole thing needs replaced about every 10 or 15 batches.  Sooner if you boil over onto it and get it wet.  Lately, I"m using 3/4" Energy Shield.  I use a piece about 60" x 11" for my 15 gallon kettle.  I score it every 3" on one side, then snap it so it forms a ring.  Cut out for handles, cover it in foil, and I wrap a piece of wire around to tie it all tight so it stays put.    I also insulate the lid btw.

A friend who started doing the same thing decided to try that on his induction burner and did a 10 gallon batch on a 1800w 110v unit with no trouble.  His won't do a violent boil, but it boils just fine and makes good beer with almost no heat lost.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Back