Author Topic: Volume of "profile adjusted water" in recipe?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline PeterM

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Volume of "profile adjusted water" in recipe?
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:04:13 AM »
Hi guys
As my water is pretty hard I've used the water profile tool in BS to calculate some resonable additions of gypsum and Epsom salt. Now in my recipe I have set the batch size to 25 l. However I need a total of say 37 l of brew water.
I guess the composition of the water is important to mash pH more than in the finished beer where concentrations may be substantially higher due to boil off. Thus I need to calculate my additions based on 37 l of water, not 25 l.
If I add 37 l of the adjusted water to my recipe, and ask BS to calculate the proper amounts of gypsum etc. apparently the software counts this as the batch size and a VERY thin and pale beer is predicted :o.
Now on the other hand if I add 25 l of adjusted water the calculated amount of additions are based on 25 l not 37 (off course), but as mentioned I believe that my additions should be based on the total amount of brew water, 37 l that is.
Am I missing something or is that just a minor flaw in the software?
Thanks in advance :)
Rgds Peter

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Volume of "profile adjusted water" in recipe?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:34:16 PM »
I would recommend using the Water profile tool which lets you enter the water volume and calculate the additions needed.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

modification