• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Volume of "profile adjusted water" in recipe?

PeterM

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys
As my water is pretty hard I've used the water profile tool in BS to calculate some resonable additions of gypsum and Epsom salt. Now in my recipe I have set the batch size to 25 l. However I need a total of say 37 l of brew water.
I guess the composition of the water is important to mash pH more than in the finished beer where concentrations may be substantially higher due to boil off. Thus I need to calculate my additions based on 37 l of water, not 25 l.
If I add 37 l of the adjusted water to my recipe, and ask BS to calculate the proper amounts of gypsum etc. apparently the software counts this as the batch size and a VERY thin and pale beer is predicted :eek:.
Now on the other hand if I add 25 l of adjusted water the calculated amount of additions are based on 25 l not 37 (off course), but as mentioned I believe that my additions should be based on the total amount of brew water, 37 l that is.
Am I missing something or is that just a minor flaw in the software?
Thanks in advance :)
Rgds Peter

I would recommend using the Water profile tool which lets you enter the water volume and calculate the additions needed.

Brad

Back