• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Protein rest

andrew.grogan1

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am pretty new to all grain brewing and to beersmith.  I have a recipe kit I purchased that I am trying to enter into beersmith.  It calls for the following mash profile:

Protein Rest: 122–131°F for 10–20 minutes
Sacch’ Rest: 152°F for 60 minutes

I can't find a mash profile in beersmith that matches this.  Can anyone help me?

Pick an infusion profile and modify it.  You can do this with in the recipe for a one time used or in your master profile list so that you can use it for other recipes at will.  The whole benefit of BeerSmith is that you can modify the profiles and features to match how you brew.  The existing profiles in BeerSmith are there to act as a template for you to modify.

I  pick a temperature step mash and then modify it to suit, as you are doing 2 temperature steps. My favourite
pils recipe is a 4 step with acid rest, protein rest,  sacc rest and mashout.  I changed the specs based on an article called "the science of step mashing" and made a custom profile name.  It makes for a  highly efficient mash without addition of adjuncts. Informative article.

Back