• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Option to keep hop amounts the same when adjusting gravity

poorboy

Apprentice
Reaction score
I find myself adjusting my recipes' gravity often after upgrading equipment, etc., and it would be nice to have a checkbox in the "Adjust Gravity" dialog to not make changes to the hop bill. Example- a recipe preboil gravity was originally 1.055, but due to equipment upgrades my efficiency increases and causes it to go up to 1.063. I adjust the gravity back down to 1.055 using the Adjust Gravity button, but along with decreasing the grain weights it decreases the hop weights too. Under normal circumstances this might make sense, but (to me at least) not when adjusting for an increase in mash efficiency, where you want to keep the hop bill the same, just decrease the grain bill to get the OG back to where it was before the equipment upgrades. I hope I've explained this well & that it makes sense.

+1

I also adjust gravity often when crafting recipes, and i know what aroma hop bill I want. Having to manually adjust the hops back is a bit annoying.

A better alternative in my opinion would be to add a setting in options (or adjust dialog) to only adjust bitterness hop, say you can select to only adjust 60min (or more) hops. Leaving the 30, 15, 2min hops as they are. Letting the user set the minute limit as they wish.

could you use the "scale recipe" tool instead?  create a new equipment profile with a higher efficiency but the same volume, then scale from one to the other?

Back