• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Starting Water Volume

carterja80

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!  I am new to Beersmith and a relatively new brewer.  I've done a few extract kits from Northern Brewer, but am taking matters into my own hands with Beersmith finally!

I have crafted my first recipe and picked up all the ingredients!  I'm getting ready to brew, hopefully this coming weekend. 

The brew I am doing is an extract brew.  I'm doing (ideally) a 5 gal batch, and I am brewing in a 5 gallon pot. 

I notice, when I look at the brew steps, it tells me how long to steep the specialty grains for and what the water volume should be when I'm done with the boil, but it doesn't tell me how much water to start with.  Am I missing something or is there a way to come up with how much water I need or what my starting volume should be?

Thanks Everyone!

Cheers!

If you are looking at the brew steps report, you should see the volumes as per attached sheet.  Volumes circled in red!

Attachments

• Brew steps volumes.JPG
    Brew steps volumes.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 5
Hmmm.  I'll have to take a look at it when I get back home.  I think I set my Equipment Profile for using a 5 gal brew pot, but I think the volume it gave me was over 5 Gal.  So I thought amount was the total water, after topping off in the fermenter as well...  Maybe I have my profile set up incorrectly.  I'll take a second look!

Thanks!

If you are looking for 5 gallons into the fermentor, then the water needed will be much greater than 5 gallons.  You have some water which is absorbed by the grains, whatever kettle loss you have designed into your process, trub and chiller losses, not to mention the boil off volume.

Back