• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barley wine

cowboygun

Apprentice
Reaction score
Looking to brew a barley wine next weekend. Looking for any input as I have never done one before. For instance what kind of yeasts should I use? Or any other information I should look into. Was thinking of using Maris otter as my base malt ~25#, 1# each of crystal 40/80/120, .5 # of carafa II, and .25# each of black barley and chocolate malt. i am using 20 gallon BIAB system.

I have an English Barley Wine aging for Christmas right now and I used 94.1% Maris Otter, 2.9% Crystal 120, and 2.9% Caramunich. I used Nottingham yeast with a Nottingham water profile. It ended up 10.5% ABV, 16.1 SRM, 45.4 IBU. and 1.093 OG all within Style Guidelines 19B for English Barley Wine.

I currently have 3 Barley Wines, the oldest being 5 years old.
I tried a Belgian Barley wine and others liked it, but I found I am not a big Belgian fan.
My initial batch was done with a Scottish WY1728, which turned out great.
Then the Belgian WLP545 done for the higher alcohol tolerance.
The last one I did, I used the Omega high gravity yeast. That will be ready around Christmas.

I attached my initial recipe, in case you are looking for ideas.

Attachments

• OLD DARK WILL.bsmx
    29.5 KB · Views: 3
Back