• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Amount of corn sugar - Beersmith vs other resources on the web

MikeSkril

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering why BS is is always giving me a much lower amount of priming sugar than all other resources on the net. Here is one example...

dlpJknO.png

TWHVioD.png

Thanks,

I can't comment on why the calculations are different.  It may be the estimation of fermentability of the sugars or DME that are used.  I use the BeerSmith calculator and found early on that my beers were a bit over-carbonated.  So now that I have a correlation, I specify a slightly lower carbonation target and everything works well. 

As with most models and calculators, you can go crazy trying to parse them all out to figure out the differences.  Pick a model and use your results and experiences to figure out where the outcome matches your expectations.

Looks like they match pretty well between Table Sugar and Corn Sugar.
Maybe each program just assumed different efficiency for each of those, like the last person said.

I also find BeerSmith2 tends to over-egg priming carb, so tend to back off 10%.

Back