• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Use for planning Mashes for distilling recipes - Bourbon

varocketry

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Users on the Home Distiller site suggest BEERSMITH as a tool for planning mashes for distilling recipes such as bourbon.

After a brief review of pages and video, I do not see a clear cross-over.

Has anyone here used this software for planning a bourbon mash intended for distilling?

varocketry said:
I do not see a clear cross-over.

Based on? And compared to?

For mashes with or without added amylase, BeerSmith can certainly handle the task of designing the grist and predicting gravity. BeerSmith can also let you add ingredients to the database and customize mash profiles with any number of permutations.

Yeasts already in BeerSmith, but again, you can add any type of manufacturer you desire.

For fermentation, it's easily modified to account for the shorter distillate time table.

Up to the distillation process, the creation of wort and basic fermentation have a lot of crossover. I have no experience home distilling, since it's outlawed where I live. I have recently added commercial distilling to my skill set and that's what I'm basing my comments upon.

Back