• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe help.

arctic78

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I was just was looking for some advice or comments on this American IPA recipe that I have put together. This is my first attempt at designing a recipe so any advise would be appreciated.
I am dry hopping using a Australian hop called Summer hops. AA5.6 they have a apricot and melon aroma.
Also using honey and was going to add to the boil at 15 min mark. I am not looking for a strong flavour so I thought adding it at this stage would be ok.

Thanks for any help.

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 19.60 l
Boil Size: 22.90 l
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 20.90 l
Final Bottling Vol: 19.00 l
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

18.93 l Burton On Trent, UK Water 1 -
2.22 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 2 39.6 %
0.11 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 2.0 %
0.95 kg Light Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min](15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 4 17.0 %
25.50 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 32.0 IBUs
1.43 kg Extra Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](5.9 EBC) Dry Extract 6 25.5 %
0.50 kg Amber Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](24.6 EBC) Dry Extract 7 8.9 %
0.26 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
10.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 4.2 IBUs
5.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 1.3 IBUs
10.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 11 1.0 IBUs
10.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Burton Union Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M79) Yeast 13 -
0.40 kg Honey (2.0 EBC) Sugar 14 7.1 %

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 %
Bitterness: 47.6 IBUs
Est Color: 20.6

Total Grain Weight: 5.62kg

The word is that adding extract late in the boil will help keep your color lighter, may want to give that a shot.

Will you dry hop?

Personally I like hop additions at 60 min, 5 min, then I'll chill to around 170 degrees and steep for 15 minutes before cooling the rest of the way to pitching temp.  But what you have there looks good too.

I'm by no means a hop-head and prefer my bitterness closer to 70 IBUs.  47 may or may not leave you wanting a bit more.

Have fun!

Thanks. I am adding most of the extract late in the boil ( 15min ) I am also dry hopping
I was trying to keep the bitterness down a little as my wife is not a huge fan of very bitter beers  still not quite sure where that balance is yet as this is my first try at designing a recipe and only my fourth batch I will have made .
Thanks for having a look and for your advise much appreciated.

Nice, sounds like you're on the right track, particularly with the bitterness.  Looks like you're right within the style's ballpark, for what it's worth.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/01/24/beer-styles-ibu-chart-graph-bitterness-range/

I hear what you're saying about the wife's palete... My wife used to dislike hoppy stuff too, now IPAs are basically all she's looking for!  Incredible how paletes change over the years.

Thanks for the link. Found it very interesting.  I thought the bitterness was something I could build up slowly for her and fingers crossed  it will help enjoy hoppy IPA'S  like myself  :) . The bonus is she does enjoy beer she just has a preference for porters and golden ales which I really like also.

Well as soon as work allows me I will brew this up and see how it all goes.

Thanks again for the comments and tips.

Back