• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirlpool IBU

Great_Notion

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to set BeerSmith2 to calculate whirlpool additions? Even when I had a large amount, the IBU in the software reads zero.  Thanks for any help!

Are you adding the hops as a zero minute addition in the boil?  If so, then change the addition of the hop to 'steep/whirlpool'.  You can do this by double clicking on the hop in the recipe, change the 'use' option to read 'steep/whirlpool'.  Then set the minutes to the time of your whirlpool. 

Yes, I have the use set to Steep/Whirlpool. Duration is 20 minutes. Amount is 3 ounces.

Hmmm.  Under your options >> bitterness, what is your utilization factor for whirlpool/steeping hops?

Under options >> bitterness, I don't have an option for whirlpool/steeping hops.

Attachments

• screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 384
OK, you are using Rager for the IBU model.  I don't think anyone has done the study of IBU contributions using the Rager model for IBU calculations.  The current contribution has been covered using the Tinseth model, so that may explain why you are not getting a contribution calculation.

What version of BeerSmith are you running?  It also occurred to me that the update to include whirlpool hops did not happen until relatively recently.

Thank you! The update to 2.2 fixed this problem for me. Works with Rager as well. Cheers!

Back