• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

water volumes

nicksaunders

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but I am not inly new to the BeerSmith software but also to brewing itself ahving just done a couple of extract brews. My question is I have scaled a recipe down to 12litres using the software and everything seems ok in terms of the ingredients. However when I look at the brew steps it says that total water vol is 20.89 litres, yet the first step is to steep grains in 6.69litres then boil. Post boil vol is around 5.5litres and then to top up to achieve 12 litres. So why is the total water volume 20.89litres? thanks in advance

Your post requires a lot of assumptions. So, it's not possible to accurately answer you.

My questions are:
1) How did you scale the recipe?
2) Is this an extract recipe?
3) What does the Vols tab say?

If you didn't use the Scale Recipe function, then not everything will change. If this is an extract recipe set up as as needing a mash, then the water volume will increase.

Back