• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Chilli kinda dunkel wiesse beer (Ancho)

Rorym81

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm about to brew a sort of dunkel wiesse at a friend's brewery (10hl batch) and have more or less formulated a malt and hop bill... my plea for help is in terms of the addition of the chillies...

Can any one recommend a method and tips? I'm thinking a 10 - 14 day dip in the secondary and just chopping off the top and throwing in four kilos for the 10hl of beer... but I'm having second thoughts. I don't want to really get any heat from them just the fruity wonders of the ancho chilli.

Anything?

Cheers!

Getting rid of seeds and the ribs inside the pod reduce a lot of the heat. Also, as most peppers ripen fully, the heat goes way down.

I don't think you're going to avoid all heat.

My suggestion would be to remove the seeds and ribs, then roast them slightly to develop the richness. Maybe not char them, just soften them and remove the skin.

Back