• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash tun dead space

Pcmax

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there, fairly new to brewing and first post on the forum to please be gentle.
I am starting to gather enough knowledge and information to attempt my first AG brew. I have downloaded the Beersmith App and am trying to work out my mash tun dead space for my "equipment profile".
I made a filter device for the tun from slotted copper pipe, if I fill the cooler with water and then allow to run off I end up with about 500ml (half a quart) of water remaining in the cooler.
Is this my mash tun dead space or would it be significantly more once I have the grain bed in there.?

That 500 ml is pretty close to your dead space volume.  Yes, there will be some grain which will displace some of the water, but in the long run it not be enough to seriously throw your profile off.

Back