• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Move from one carboy to another 2 days in

Brewer-Steve

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I had a concern about my original batch being fermented 2 days into the process.  My airlock got wedged between the carboy and the BrewJacket rod.  I was worried that the CO2 would not exit properly so I decided to move the batch from the original carboy to a different carboy.  I sanitized everything, sealed the blow-off, etc., but did I just screw up this batch or will it ferment properly?  I don't want to waste 2-3 weeks and the result is no good.

Thanks for your help.  My first post.

As long as there was no infection or contamination, you show be fine.  You added oxygen in the process at the wrong time which is undesirable but that shouldn't cause immediate issues.  By agitating or rousing the yeast and raising the temperature, you invigorated the yeast and the remaining fermentation should be pretty exciting.

Generally you don't want to interrupt fermentation when it starts. Was there krausen on top? Did you leave anything behind?

At this point, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Check your gravity readings when fermentation completes and perhaps it'll be great.

At this point, just relax and have a homebrew. Its not really ideal, but since its been done I think you will be ok.

Cheers!

Back