• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Priming sugar doesn't seem to affect ABV!?

ipanisse

Apprentice
Reaction score
I try to find out if Beersmith take into account the amount of sugar I use for bottle conditioning when it calculate the ABV of my finished beer.
As far as my understanding goes there is no ABV calculations for the added priming sugar but it should add or give an estimated difference of 0,3-0,5 ABV if I bottle condition or not.

How or what does the software actually do or not do when calculating ABV? Is it just a function of OG - FG, and if I want to know how much the priming sugar affect the ABV I have to do that calculation on the side and therefor can't get that into the calculation of the recipe?

Items added from the Misc database don't get counted towards gravity. Only items from the Grain database (which includes sugars) are part of gravity.

OTOH, BeerSmith doesn't differentiate when any fermentable is added as it all shows in the Pre and Post-Boil gravities.

Back