• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inputting a recipe

F

Flipper

I tried to input a recipe from BYO Magazine and the estimated OG and IBU's are way off from what it says in the magazine. The recipe said the OG would be 1.050 and after putting in all the ingrediants, Beersmith said 1.011 ! Any idea as to what may be going on? Also, is there a way to adjust the recipe/ingrediants by OG and IBU's?

Hello,
  I would start by checking your equipment - if you don't match the equipment and batch size to the recipe it will be off substantially.

Also another common source of differences is the IBU estimation forumula.  BeerSmith defaults to Tinseth formula while many others use Rager.  You can adjust the formula from the bitterness tab on the options dialog (Tools menu).

You can scale the OG and IBUs for any recipe.  Open the recipe and click on the "Gravity" or "Bitterness" button on the context toolbar to adjust these.

Cheers!
Brad

Shessh! I musta been having a bonehead day!

Thanks alot Brad! By The way, I grew up in Torrance!

Back