• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

late addition of malt to mash

zaporozsky

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello colleagues,
I am going to add chocolate malt (900 EBC) at the end of mashing, before filtering. How can I mark this kind of malt in my recipe in BeerSmith?

BeerSmith doesn't really handle split mashes or timed additions to a mash.

The thing to do is just add and ingredient called "Chocolate Malt - EOM" to signify it's added at the End Of Mash. To do this, just copy & paste the ingredient you'd normally use, then change the name by adding the EOM to the end.

Hey guys!!

I am professionally working in a brewpub in UK... I would like brew an American Pale Ale according to German infusion style with my British mash tune and HLT... I mean I'd like strike in some Pilsner and caramel malt at 58degrees. Then, after 15 mins of rest  complete the mash adding Pale Ale Malt and more liquor water till arise the 65degrees steep. Is it possible make/save a customize mashing procedure with BeerSmith.

I can figure out the grain and water amounts&rates needed to complete both steps... but I cannot get the expected OG.... I know its not gonna be so far comparing with run only one single step at 65 degrees... but it should be welcome...

Thanks in advance!!!

The expected OG is the sum of all grains times total mash efficiency, the same as a single infusion. Splitting mashes doesn't change the total available sugars.

If the total weight of the mash is more than 150 kg/M2, then you can expect a reduction in nominal extract efficiency. Usually in the range of 30% reduced per 50% increase in weight.

Thanks!!! Mash tun works around 100KG/M^2.... So It should be ok... I just wanna get a better proteins rest of my Pilsner and caramel malt.....

I was thinking a late addition (beginning of sparging) of Black&chocolate malt for my next Black IPA.... around 4-5% at all over the total grain sum... How might I figure out the efficiency for this malt addition ??

Cheers!!! Daniel.

daniel_sam said:
How might I figure out the efficiency for this malt addition ??

I don't think it'll make more than 1% difference in total extraction. Those malts already yield less than pale malt and late additions still yield their color and flavor.

Back