• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Home brewing blog

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Got a blog set up finally. Feel free to follow and leave comments. Its still pretty new, working on getting more content added as i go.
www.domingoestradajr.com

Click on the homebrewing tab off to the side to go to my blog!

great start, have fun with that!  you list a lot of equipment, but didn't say anything about how that sweet grey ride in the photos comes in to play...  8) 8) :p

jtoots said:
great start, have fun with that!  you list a lot of equipment, but didn't say anything about how that sweet grey ride in the photos comes in to play...  8) 8) :p

Transfers fill carboys from one side of the garage to the.other :)

Scott Ickes said:
Hey buddy!  I just checked it out.  Nice start! Looking good so far...

Thanks Scott. Got a few ideas from your site

Brewmex41 said:
Scott Ickes said:
Hey buddy!  I just checked it out.  Nice start! Looking good so far...

Thanks Scott. Got a few ideas from your site

I find it interesting that you would say that.  Because, I have no idea what I'm doing!  It took me almost three weeks to figure out how to put anything on the pages.  Eventually, Matt is going to help me get it better.  I know how I want the site to work, just not how to accomplish it.  I'm a mechanical engineer, not a computer engineer.

Well, Scott, I mostly meant I got a few ideas for what sort of content you had on there.
I know you have , what, 4 kegs on tap now? Something like that? You should consider getting a raspberry pi and setting up a raspberrypints digital taplist! Thats what I have outside of my kegerator to show what is on tap!

Brewmex41 said:
Well, Scott, I mostly meant I got a few ideas for what sort of content you had on there.
I know you have , what, 4 kegs on tap now? Something like that? You should consider getting a raspberry pi and setting up a raspberrypints digital taplist! Thats what I have outside of my kegerator to show what is on tap!

I use a digital picture frame for that.  I set it up to scroll through jpg's.  Here are photos of it and one of my boil while making my Christmas Ale yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 3
I find it interesting that you would say that.  Because, I have no idea what I'm doing!  It took me almost three weeks to figure out how to put anything on the pages.  Eventually, Matt is going to help me get it better.  I know how I want the site to work, just not how to accomplish it.  I'm a mechanical engineer, not a computer engineer.
[/quote]

Great site Scott! I will check your site on a regular basis in the future.

On your site you are asking for some ideas related the Cider project:
- you could add a Brettanomyces to go more funky (last year in Normandy-France I bought a very complex "funky style" Cider, very interesting product)
- you could add Elderly flower, I had some good results in adding Elderly flowers to my Apple wine (of season/hard to get at the moment I think)
- you could add some malt from your Christmas beer to give it some back bone (after you lautered it and probably would throw it away)

Good luck!
Slurk

Slurk said:
Slurk said:
Great site Scott! I will check your site on a regular basis in the future.

On your site you are asking for some ideas related the Cider project:
- you could add a Brettanomyces to go more funky (last year in Normandy-France I bought a very complex "funky style" Cider, very interesting product)
- you could add Elderly flower, I had some good results in adding Elderly flowers to my Apple wine (of season/hard to get at the moment I think)
- you could add some malt from your Christmas beer to give it some back bone (after you lautered it and probably would throw it away)

Good luck!
Slurk

I'll give your ideas some thought.  I have a really funky (atomic bomb sour) that I could blend into it.  I'll be putting up a posting about my sour projects soon. 

What I have is a 2.5 gallon batch of a lower gravity, low hop beer.  It's basically a scaled down Flanders Brown.  I had brewed up five gallons of 1.060 wort and hopped it to only 6.9 IBU's.  I then split the batch in two.  In one half I pitched Lactobacillus Brevis and the dregs from two bottles of Jolly Pumpkin La Roja.  That 2.5 gallon batch got really sour and funky very quickly.  In the other half I pitched Wyeast Roselaire.  Here are the specs for Roselaire from their website.

Our blend of lambic cultures produce beer with a complex, earthy profile and a distinctive pie cherry sourness. Aging up to 18 months is required for a full flavor profile and acidity to develop. Specific proportions of a Belgian style ale strain, a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture produce the desirable flavor components of these beers as they are brewed in West Flanders. Propagation of this culture is not recommended and will result in a change of the proportions of the individual components. This blend will produce a very dry beer due to the super-attenuative nature of the mixed cultures.

I used the Lacto/jolly pumpkin half to sour three different beers, so I don't have any of that.  I still have the Roselaire batch though.  In April, the Roselaire batch was pretty bland with just a touch of funkiness.  We just had a tasting of my three sours and the Roselaire batch this past Thursday at our home brew meeting.  The Roselaire is now VERY SOUR!  From March 2015 to October 2015 it went from bland and slightly funky to in your face sour!  Incredible result!!

Since I brewed it just for blending, it's right up the alley for what I'm looking for.  I just have to blend a sample and see how I like the result.

Thanks for the feedback Slurk!!

Scott Ickes said:
Since I brewed it just for blending, it's right up the alley for what I'm looking for.  I just have to blend a sample and see how I like the result.
Thanks for the feedback Slurk!!

This looks very promising Scott!

Back