• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My first Recipe Design and First Time with BeerSmith

Firefli

Apprentice
Reaction score
I went to my local brew supply store and the guy there helped me put together a recipe, however when I try and plug everything into beer smith, It seems like the estimated final gravity is in the yellow.  I already setup my equipment profile too.  I'm confused because the profile for dry stout says the estimated original gravity is on the higher end.  I hope someone can look at my recipe and tell me if it works or what I need to do to tweak it. 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.75 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal 
Bottling Volume: 4.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 34.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
3 lbs                Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)        Grain        1        34.1 %       
1 lbs                Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM)          Grain        2        11.4 %       
12.0 oz              Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)              Grain        3        8.5 %       
8.0 oz                Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM)    Grain        4        5.7 %       
4.0 oz                Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (550.0 SRM)    Grain        5        2.8 %       
0.25 oz              Apollo [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop          6        15.3 IBUs   
0.25 oz              Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop          7        2.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg              Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml Yeast        8        -           
3 lbs 4.8 oz          Maris Otter light (6.0 SRM)              Extract      9        37.5 %       

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 12.8 oz

Thanks in advance,

Robert

If this is the first time you are using BeerSmith for brewing, then just brew the recipe as you have it.  Use the pre- and post- boil values for adjusting your mash and equipment profiles to better fit your results.

In terms of matching the recipe to the style, unless you are looking to enter it into competition, I would not worry too much about it.  You may want to up the mash temperature a bit to give it a bit more mouth feel (try medium body), and that should increase the estimated FG of the beer.

Thanks for your reply! I've only done partial mashes that came in kits, this is the first time I put one together myself.  It seems to me to have a lot more grain than I'm used too.  Does the recipe look ok to you?

I agree the grains look like quite a bit for an extract brew, but no worries.  For an extract brew you're mostly getting color from the grains, so the one that looks surprising to me is 3 lbs of Maris Otter (as much as I love that grain!).  I agree with Oginme, go ahead and brew it, keep an eye out for the next batch!

One of the approaches you may try is to do your partial mash and then add the extract until you reach your target pre-boil gravity.  This will allow you to make up for a low or high mash efficiency versus your initial estimate. 

The most important thing is to use this as a learning experience and don't worry too much about it --- You will make beer!

Thanks for your replies.  I like the idea of adding the LME pre boil to ensure hitting my estimated SG.

Back