• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

bottling a lager

Baron Von MunchKrausen

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I'm cloning a Czech Krusovice lager as a Christmas gift for a friend. I've always kegged lagers, but now I need to dust off the bottling bucket.
10 gallon batch. 5 G into keg / 5 G into bottles
Using WLP802 Czech Budjovice Lager yeast. Fermenting about 2 weeks at 52F then lagering 2 months at 34F

Here's the question(s) kind of basic as I haven't bottled for a while:
Any issue bottling cold beer to a room temperature bottle?
Any issue bottle conditioning & storing at room temperature?
Since this is a split batch, I can't get beersmith to tell me how much corn sugar to use. Any estimate?
Basically, is this the same as bottling an ale?

Sounds yummy. When I bottle lagered beer, or any beer for that matter, unlike kegging I stir the bottom yeast sediment up a little bit on purpose just to ensure enough yeast to carbonate. It's going to need to age a bit anyway, will ferment more and clears up again. Copy your recipe, scale it back to one half, save it as another version, and work with the corn sugar carbonation tool for that type of lager. Probably looking for around 2.3 volumes of co2. but check the style guide.

Thanks twhitaker.
Seems like a lot of variables bottling a lager, primarily trapping some yeasties.
Last night I thought of another option - kegging the whole batch, carb it up, then beer gun into some bottles.

Scott Ickes said:
Why not just use the "Carbonation Tool" in the "Tools" tab on BeerSmith?

AAHH! I often forget about the handy tool list.
Calls for 3.86 oz. corn sugar.
Thanks Scott!

Back