• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops

robertwest

Apprentice
Reaction score
i just finished harvesting my hops but don't have time to dry them.  Is there anything wrong with bagging and putting them immediately in the freezer? Understand that my weights will be off but at least possibly saving them.

Nope. Nothing wrong with that. Push as much air out of the bags as possible.

There can be other issues with freezing wet (undried) hops.  If you use them soon, you will probably be OK.  Keep in mind that the drying process not only preserves the hops but it also changes the compounds in the hops.  Wet hops begin to mold and rot very quickly after being picked, especially when sealed in a plastic bag.  I would also be worried about freezer burn and tiny ice crystals forming in the hops if frozen wet for too long.

Personally, I've been able to hold wet hops over in open bags, in the fridge for a day or two.  Any longer than that and I would not use them as they start to smell moldy.

As a general rule it is recommended to either dry them or use them ASAP after picking.

Back