• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to put in flame out / 0 min hops into BeerSmith?

theobacconist

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the most likely ignorant question (first-time poster here), but when a recipe says to put in the 0 min (flame out) hop addition, what is the best way to put this into BeerSmith 2?

Should I just select Boil and then 0 min? Is this what most people do?

Or, should I instead select the Steep/Whirlpool option? Only thing is, I don't really whirlpooling just yet (although I may give it a try) but instead immediately start the immersion wort chiller process at this point. So--and I know all these calculations are not super exactly, but--would it perhaps make some sense to just put in 5-10 minutes as steep instead, because by that time the temperature of the wort would have dropped below 90C/194F?

Thanks in advance!

If you move the kettle immediately from the boil to chill, then add the hops as 'boil' with a '0' minute boil time.  If you take some time between the boil and starting to chill, then I would add the hops as steep/whirlpool and input the time it takes to get the kettle below 170F. 

You can always add the hops as '0' minute boil add, even if it will take some time to chill the wort.  Your actual results are what is really important.

I add either 1 minute boil or zero minute Aroma / Steep. 

Hops added at flameout are basically whirlpool .  You are adding your chiller and cooling the wort.  The bitterness extraction is small as you are chilling and steeping at the same time where whirlpool will have a greater extraction as chilling is not started until after the whirlpool.  Depending on my process that day, 1 minute means chill immediately and whirlpool means I will whirlpool (which I do most of the time now).

theobacconist said:
Sorry for the most likely ignorant question (first-time poster here), but when a recipe says to put in the 0 min (flame out) hop addition, what is the best way to put this into BeerSmith 2?

Should I just select Boil and then 0 min? Is this what most people do?

Or, should I instead select the Steep/Whirlpool option? Only thing is, I don't really whirlpooling just yet (although I may give it a try) but instead immediately start the immersion wort chiller process at this point. So--and I know all these calculations are not super exactly, but--would it perhaps make some sense to just put in 5-10 minutes as steep instead, because by that time the temperature of the wort would have dropped below 90C/194F?

Thanks in advance!

Back