• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with how to keep boil sugars out of grain %

tschafer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Saturday I'll be brewing my annual pumpkin (didn't want to this year, but people are asking for it)

I have cane and brown sugar that I'll be adding late in my boil.  About 8.5% of my grain percentage.

Now here is my question.

My Per-boil gravity is estimate at: 1.046

I know that i will not come close to that, because of the sugar i'm adding.

How can I make BeerSmith not use my sugars that I add into the boil as part of the grain percentage, so that I know if hit my target Preboil OG with just my grains, and still know how much sugar I need to add to hit my Post boil OG of 1.069

You can simply zero out the sugar yield in the recipe. Just double click the ingredient and where it says Yield change it to zero. Once you're past the pre boil, you can just change them back. Since sugar is always 100% yield, you don't have to remember a lot of different weights.

Well that is one way to do it.

Is there really no preset that will automatically set sugars to boil so that they will not affect our preboil numbers?

If not, Brad if your reading this.  Add this as an option to the updated version.  Allow users to click 'Boil Sugars' so that we don't have to manual change this everytime we brew with a sugar.

tschafer said:
Is there really no preset that will automatically set sugars to boil so that they will not affect our preboil numbers?

Nope.

Allow users to click 'Boil Sugars' so that we don't have to manual change this everytime we brew with a sugar.

It's been an obvious feature request for quite a while. Brad has said that BeerSmith needs to be better at handling sugar additions.

An easier way to figure the pre-boil gravity readings is to double click on the sugar entries in the recipe and mark them as 'add after boil'.  The pre-boil gravity will then reflect the gravity contribution of just the grains and post boil will reflect the gravity with the sugar addition.  Since there is really not a lot of things that can grow in concentrated sugar, I usually mark my sugars for addition after boil and then stir them in at flame out.  Never had an issue doing this and almost always come up right on target for post-boil gravity.  The only exceptions have been for honey, maple syrup and agave syrup, which can have variable sugar concentrations anyway.

Back