Author Topic: Batch size input question  (Read 9386 times)

Offline scaesare

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Batch size input question
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
I'm not trying to be argumentative... what I'm trying to tell you is that my equipment performance is relatively static: The amount of sugars I get out of my mash should be consistent. The amount of boil off should also be similar.

If I decide to boil in  a 5 gallon pot with .25 trub loss, or a 15 gallon kettle with .5 trub loss, either way I want the same overall beer coming out the back end. Thus the only way to do that is to modify my grain bill, no?

I know that I've lost some efficiency when I leave extra liquid behind. What I want to do is make up for that by buying the grain I need. The answers I've gotten seem to be "manually adjust".

My question is, why can't BS do that for me? If it can, how?

On edit: Wait, modifying the equipment profile within a recipe doesn't take the changes in to account it seems? I have to scale the recipe to some other equipment, and then back again for changes to occur?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:54:25 AM by scaesare »

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 10:01:29 AM »
My question is, why can't BS do that for me? If it can, how?

On edit: Wait, modifying the equipment profile within a recipe doesn't take the changes in to account it seems? I have to scale the recipe to some other equipment, and then back again for changes to occur?

Oh, good. We're getting somewhere.  ;)

Exactly, you just scale between the two equipment profiles and all calculations are automatic. You don't need the extra step of going to a random profile (if that's what you did). Just have "My Equipment 5 gallon" and "My Equipment 15 gallon" profiles and bounce between the two.

As you outlined it, each of those profiles will have a different BHE because the trub loss isn't linear to the batch volume. Use the calculation I just gave you to find the value, quickly.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline scaesare

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 11:40:38 AM »
Why doesn't BS pick up modifications to the equipment you are using in the recipe without selecting some equipment you aren't using first?

The earlier instruction here was to click the check mark to modify the equipment you are using within that recipe. There's no mention of having to "bounce" to other equipment and then back again. >:(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:42:51 AM by scaesare »

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 01:53:18 PM »
Why doesn't BS pick up modifications to the equipment you are using in the recipe without selecting some equipment you aren't using first?
It does. You'll need to be more specific so I can point you to where you'll see them.

However, if you expect BeerSmith to change the ingredients, it won't. You may see a change in gravity, but ingredient amounts will stay the same.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

modification