• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Software/Total Efficiency

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have questions about the "Total Efficiency" input on the Design page.  Its a input/value that can be entered.  I did figure out my efficiency.  I enter my efficiency.  With that said what affect does this input have on future brews?  Or is this just a documented value?

That figure is your Brewhouse Efficiency (BHE) as found in your equipment profile (upper left corner of the profile).

On this forum, there are extensive threads on the difference between Mash and Brewhouse Efficiency.

If you're unfamiliar with it, BHE is the total amount of available sugar that makes it to the fermenter. This accounts for all wort losses along the way. Since wort loss is a reduction in BHE, it's lower than mash efficiency. 

Hi brewfun,
Thanks for the reply.
I do understand BHE. 
Concerning the BeerSmith software.  Does having the correct BHE in BeerSmith have an affect on future brews using BeerSmith?  Or is this just a documented value/reference.

Cheers,
John

Of course!

Correct BHE in your equipment profile means every recipe designed with it is going to work for you. As time goes on, you'll learn the efficiency curve that's unique to your system. This'll make predicting target gravity and bitterness a lot more reliable.

Back