• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Editing Recipe to Match Actual Brew Volumes, etc?

Jiffster

Brewer
Reaction score
I brewed and extract with steeped grains recipe. I started with 5 gallons water and ended up with 3.75 gallons of wort in my fermenter before adding 1.25 gallons top off water to bring the batch up to 5 gallons.

I can't figure out what volumes to manipulate to align the recipe with what I actually did and/or measured.

Is there any way to share my recipe to be reviewed in order to assist me with understanding?

My goal isn't to replicate the recipe again but to use this experience to learn from.

Set up your equipment profile with the 1.25 gal of top up water into the fermenter.  The 5 gallons is your pre-boil volume, and you need to adjust your boil off and trub loss numbers to get to the 3.75 gallons post-boil.

Brad

Thank you. I' trying this but I still must admit it's not clear to me. There are volumes in the equipment profile and volumes in the recipe (Volume Tab) and when I make changes they are not reflected in both.

Just not certain about what volumes affect what.

Your equipment profile should be set up to reflect the typical equipment sizes and volumes that you will brew. Your equipment profile becomes your basic default settings.  This initially a recipe when you create it in BeerSmith or when you change a recipe downloaded or pre-entered into BeerSmith to reflect your particular set-up (using the 'scale recipe' feature). 

You can later adjust these settings within a recipe to reflect changes you want to make or encounter as you brew, but this does not affect your equipment profile at all.

BeerSmith treats every recipe as its own separate file.  This way you can change your process in the future without affecting the historical values saved in past recipes.

If you have an existing recipe and change your equipment profile, you can do so within the recipe.  This will not affect the ingredients, but it will affect your volumes and calculated temperatures within the recipe.

Back