• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun with basket to hold grains

a_angmoh

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi

I would like to make a tun and kettle as one. I have found a nice big 16G pot and what I think is a commercial kitchen steamer basket (12" high & 12" diameter). It will hold about 30+ pounds of grain and is full of perforated holes (not enough for the grain to escape but easy for water).

When it sits in the pot it will stand about 4" off the bottom and have 4" on all sides to the edge of the pot. My idea was to place the grains in here and surround with the strike water. Can this work with all the space? All the mash tuns talked about are in cooler boxes and the grain goes all the way to the edge. I have attached a pic that I mocked up.

Any help much appreciated before I waste some money :)

Regards, Mat

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 679
Forgot to mention the basket is completely seal as in it has a perforated lid that clips down. Didn't show that in the picture. Thx

I guess I'll take a step back and ask what is driving you to go against more typical setups... what advantages over a false bottom do you hope to see?

Hi

I can find everything under the sun on amazon but the cost to ship to Singapore is crazy expensive. The coleman coolers are very expensive too. Just trying to find a cheaper way to build it with stuff I can find in the shop already.

Thx

a_angmoh said:
Hi

I can find everything under the sun on amazon but the cost to ship to Singapore is crazy expensive. The coleman coolers are very expensive too. Just trying to find a cheaper way to build it with stuff I can find in the shop already.

Thx

I am soooooooo jealouos!  I've been to Singapore on business 4 times and I love it there!  You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place.  I did have trouble finding good beer there though!  I can see why you brew. 

In Singapore, they think Heineken is liquid gold!  I feel a little sorry for them, having such a limited selection of commercial beers to choose from.

Back