• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

batch size too large

uzziah0

Apprentice
Reaction score
I probably won't get an answer to thin until I've already finished this boil.
I have about 7.5 gallons in my boil pot, and I'm already half way through the boil. I stopped the timer to allow a little more to boil off. When I realize I have too much liquid when I start the boil, doing a full grain, what should I do?

I'm just going to let it boil a little longer, but I think it will still be more than 5 gallons.
I think I got too much water in the mash, because the hose in the gott jug got twisted, and I didn't get much out of the first run. I probably should have tied putting all that back through after fixing the gott.

First, don't panic.

In BeerSmith, use the calculate boiloff tool to figure out how long you need to boil to get to the proper gravity.

Wow! I didn't see that, but quickly entering numbers it says 2 hours!
What do I do about ingredients, I'm at the 50 minute mark (and I already added 20 minutes to this boil, so I only have the 50 minute hops to add)?
And, I'm not sure my wife will be too happy with me sitting here for another 2 hours!

uzziah0 said:
Wow! I didn't see that, but quickly entering numbers it says 2 hours!
What do I do about ingredients, I'm at the 50 minute mark (and I already added 20 minutes to this boil, so I only have the 50 minute hops to add)?
And, I'm not sure my wife will be too happy with me sitting here for another 2 hours!

When you say you're at the 50 minute mark, you are talking about counting down, right? So, yes, hold all hops until you're done with the extra hour of boiling. But, don't take the boiloff for granted, please measure your volume and gravity, to make sure that your evaporation stays on track.

I can't help you in the wife department. Gifts and extra chores in the house usually help, in my experience.

start of boil + added Kent Golding 1.5 oz
30 minutes added 1.5 oz Saaz
paused for 20 minutes here
45 minutes added Whirlfloc and yeast nutrient - so this is really 65 minutes
5 more minutes of boil, go response from brewfun, so paused timer again, at 85 minutes now - down to about 7.25 gallons

Started mash almost 4 hours ago - this is where my trouble started. I'll have to redo the tubing on the mash Gott jug before I use it again.

Thanks for the help, I'll see how long I can hold out, and reduce the volume!

If you can, you'll want to add another whirlfloc. After about 30 minutes it starts to break down and loses effectiveness. If you don't have one, it's nothing to worry about.

brewfun said:
If you can, you'll want to add another whirlfloc. After about 30 minutes it starts to break down and loses effectiveness. If you don't have one, it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go back and get those back out.

Back