• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Notes - Field Size

T

Trev

[Warning] - trivial and pedantic comments follow [/Warning]

I was busily adding a number of locally available extracts and copying/pasting the descriptions from the manufacturer's website into the 'Notes' field.

This field truncates to 256 characters but only after you save the new/amended record. The memo field itself will accept longer strings during the edit but just not save them.

Now 256 characters is a far bit and normally would not present a problem but trust me to want to squeeze an extra 30 or 40 characters in ;)

Is it possible/sensible to alter this field definition to accommodate longer strings?

Trev,
 Yes, most of the ingredients have a 256 character limit.  This was done to try to balance simplicity (fixed record size) with performance (its quicker).

I have already expanded the Recipe notes to handle larger size strings and would like to do so with the ingredients as well, but it will take a bit of time.  The real concern at this point is not the coding (which is not that hard) but backward compatibility with the existing formats.  I don't want to change the format and make it incompatible with the existing program.

Net result: Yes I will do it but it will probably have to wait for a major upgrade - I don't want to change the formats until I have a new set of features that justify the upgrade/compatibility issues...

Thanks for the suggestion - it is appreciated!

Brad

Back