• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Star anise

arctic78

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I was just wanting to know if anyone has had much experience in using star anise??? I am putting together my first porter recipe and was looking at using  some in it but not sure how much I should put in a 23 litre batch. I don't want it to be overpowering but would like it just noticeable in the background.
So if any one has used this before and could give me any help in the amount I should use it would be very much appreciated .

Hi Arctic 78,

I've used star anise in my Christmas beers:
- batch size 19L
- 5 items
- boiled them for 20min in 200ml water and added the "anise tea" to the secondary

Both the anise taste and flavour were kindly in the background.

Regards,
Slurk

I used 2 stars in a stout and at first it tasted so strong I nearly poured it down the sink. After a few weeks you could hardly taste it and after six weeks the taste had disapeared. I won't bother using it again.

Thanks for your reply's. Sounds to me like making the tea and adding it to the secondary might be the way to go. I take it by 5 items you mean 5 anise stars Slurk????  again thanks for your help .

Back