• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Single Temperature Batch Sparging Equal Runnings

rippler

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to enter a single infusion batch sparge mash schedule that gives me equal volumes of runnings. I ticked the boxes "drain the mash tun" and "use equal batch sizes". However, Beersmith suggests me to use more water in the second step, i.e. after draining the first runnings. Shouldn't this be the other way around? I would like to get two equal volumes of runnings and thus the first step should account for the deadspace in the tun as well as grain absorption? Then, when I fill the tun for the second time the grain is soaked and the deadspace filled such that theoretically I should exactly get out what I poured in?

When I tick the box "adjust mash volume for deadspace" this amount correctly gets added to the first step. However, grain absoprtion gets accounted for in the second step which I think should be included in the first step.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Am I overlooking something or would somebody know the correct way to get equal volumes of runnings?

If less than 50% of your total water is used for the mash, don't click the drain box. BeerSmith will tell you two steps, where the first is to add water to the first runnings, so that first runnings are 50% of the kettle fill.

Another variable is the fill percentage of the mash tun. Make sure it reflects what you actually want to fill it up to.

Thanks a lot, that solved part of my problem. Some of my confusion arises because beersmith adds half of the deadspace to the first saprging step (or mash in if that box is checked) and the other half to the second sparging step. In my opinion, the complete deadspace should be added to the volume of the first runnings because it cannot be recovered with the first runnings. If the deadspace is not accounted for in the first runnings, then the calulations will not yield runnings of equal volume. Also, the grain to water ratio does not pick up the deadspace and is therefore biased upward.

Any views on this?

Back