• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast starter DME amount to use

suds444

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have determined the starter size (.75 L) using the Starter tab on my ale recipe then created a starter mini recipe using BeerSmith2 with a batch size of 0.2 gal (.75 L) and with my 5 gal equipment profile.  After entering the smackpack yeast mfg date, the amount of DME BeerSmith indicated was 10.3 oz to achieve an SG of 1.040.  I then changed my equipment profile to my yeast starter equipment, i.e. 2 liter flask, and the amount of DME changed to 2.9 oz to achieve an SG of 1.040 even though the batch size remained at 0.2 gal.  I don't understand what is going on.  Can anyone shed some light on what is happening and which number is correct 10.3 or 2.9 oz of DME.

I use 3.5 oz DME per liter of starter to achieve about 1.038 OG. So 2.6 oz would be good for 0.75. Personally I would not do less than 1 liter starter.

Much depends upon the specific DME you are using.  I've found vast differences between the contribution of Briess Light DME and Munton's Light DME.  I usually plan on around 90 grams of DME filled to 1 liter with water and boiled for 5 minutes to give me a gravity reading of around 1.038 to 1.040. 

In terms of your equipment profiles giving you different numbers, you need to look at the deadspace and losses associated with each profile to determine the differences.

Lastly, I second Tom's recommendation of building no less than a 1 liter starter.  The growth rate with lower starter sizes just does not seem to match the models that are available.  In terms of any potential over pitching concern, there is a wide range of cell counts which will give you the same end results and you need to be 3x or 4x the recommended cell counts to get there, IMHO.

I shoot for a starter gravity of 1.037 and generally use 1 gram of DME per 10 mL of starter wort. So, for a typical 1L starter I would use 100 grams of extra light DME.

Mark

Back