• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cloudy pumpkin beer

Maine Homebrewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
A month ago I made a pumpkin beer with five pounds of canned pumpkin in it. Bad idea. The sparge stuck so bad the only thing I could do was stir it. So I ended up with a murky mess in the brew pot. After fermenting and transferring to secondary to settle, it was still very cloudy. I tried using some bentonite that I had sitting around from when I made fruit wine, and that didn't work. Tried Super Kleer finings. Again, no dice. Finally I dug out a plate filter rig I had purchased a while back from Williams Homebrewing but never used, and it came out clear as a bell. Not sure what the moral of the story is, but I thought I'd share.

Not sure what a plate filter is, MaHo, but would you know what the equivalent is in microns for a cartridge beer filter? And thanks for the info, BTW. It's always good to put these things in the memory bank -- even if they only stay there for a few weeks! :)

Here's a link to the filter unit: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PLATE-FILTER-P468.aspx

I'm pretty sure I got the seven micron pads: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/7-MICRON-GUSMER-FILTER-PAD-P3095.aspx

Not trying to advertise for Williams Brewing here. I find them to be overpriced as a general rule. But I don't know of anyone else who sells this rig.

Great links and info. Thanks mate. I'm seriously looking at getting a cartridge filter system filter setup to use on some particular "special" brews and pilsners.

Your response is really appreciated!

Cheers
Phil

Got to try the beer today. Not fully carbonated, but getting there. Damn. It's good. Got the balance just right between the hops, malt, and spices; and you can taste the pumpkin too. Not sure if it was worth the effort, that remains to be seen. But so far, so damn, that's good.  And clear too.

Back