• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Guess my brew

Triforce

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I did my first 5 gal. extract brew and it came out way better than I expected, but I really don't know what I have (and I don't want to say what I think to avoid influencing opinions!)

Recipe:
6.5 lbs light LME (but it was a little old and darkened quite a bit)
1 lb caramel malt - 30 min steep 150F
0.4 lb chocolate malt - 30 min steep 150F
1oz Hallertau 60 min
1oz Hallertau 15 min
Ale yeast

Any guesses?

I've researched this for a couple of hours, and - if I'm not mistaken - I believe that's beer!

I looks like it's an Irish Red Ale to me.

You didn't say what type of caramel malt, so I went with 60L.  You also didn't say what type of Chocolate Malt, so I went with 350SRM.  You also didn't give the AA% of the hops, so I went with 4.8%.  The color looked like a nice Irish Red Ale, and when I put that style in, all of the numbers lined up nicely!  On the higher end for OG, so it should be nice and malty, the way I like my Irish Red Ales!

The only thing that sticks out is the Chocolate Malt.  Usually and Irish Red Ale will have some roasted barley, instead of the chocolate malt.  I usually use EKG hops, but you can't go wrong with the Hallertau either.

I attached the recipe the way I put it in...

Did I win anything?

Attachments

• Irish Red Ale.bsmx
    17.8 KB · Views: 226
Good guesses on the malts. Unfortunately my LHBS doesn't carry much variety, so things are labeled as "caramel" and "chocolate" malts without any other indicators. I think you're bang on with the caramel 60, no clue on the chocolate.

As for hops, they were hallertauer, so AA% should have been around 5% if I'm not mistaken. Maybe even 5.5%.

The original intention was to follow a recipe for a bock and sub in ale yeast since I don't have anything to lager properly. It's definitely to dark to be a red, so I've been calling it a brown ale when serving it out. It's definitely more malty than hoppy, but pretty balanced.

Thanks for playing! 

Back