• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

no foam at 34hr something wrong?

macneil2712

New Forum Member
Reaction score
last night before i went to bed my brew looked alive and great with think green foam. when i woke up this morning no yeast foam and a lot of sediment at the bottom.it is at about 34hrs in. is it two early for this to happen. the instructions that came with the kit said at the 2 or 3 day mark to remove blow off tube and use airlock.

You need to take a gravity reading and find out if it dropped down to your expected finishing gravity.  If you fermented at too warm of a temperature (temperature of the wort, not the temperature of the beer), the yeast will tear though the sugars and finish really fast.  Unfortunately, fermenting at too warm of a temperature has some undesired side effects, such as:

Creating fusel alcohols (causes headaches and a solventy, hot alcohol flavor and aroma).
  Creates off flavors (esters) that are probably not desirable in the finished beer.
  Sometimes the yeast will stall out, and not finish fully fermenting.

I'm not saying that a high temperature fermentation is what happened, but it is the first thing to look at.

What is high temperature? 
That depends on what yeast you used.  The yeast package or an online check of the yeast will give you the optimum suggested fermentation temperature range for that yeast.  I usually try to ferment towards the lower end of the particular yeasts temperature range.

i temp has stayed at 6ish degrees the entire time i have had it in the carboy. i checked it many times throughtout the first 24hrs. i do not have a gravity reader this is a small home kit that didn't provide one. any other ideas. they would be appreciated

Was the 60ish temperature the room temperature?  The fermenting beer will be about 4F to 8F above the ambient room temperature.  That would mean that if the temperature in the room was 65F, the beer could be as high as 73F, which is way too high for most beer yeasts.

Back