• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Getting hot in here!

Mofo

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I recently had a near disaster with a double IPA. Five days into the ferment, I took a hydrometer reading to make sure the ferment had slowed before dry hopping. This was a Pliny clone with a forest floor of leaf hops that floated atop the beer. Hours after recapping the bucket, I noticed that the controller had been running though its cycle a lot more quickly. I uncapped it and discovered that the probe on my temp controller had been sitting on the hops, not in the beer.  When I got the probe back in the beer it read 30.1C!!  :eek:

The hydrometer reading I took before the incident was 1.020 (nowhere near the FG I needed for a big IPA). When I read it again the day after the incident it was 1.013 and has settled at 1.011. I thought I'd ruined the batch, but 30C fermented it out.

Anyone ever cook their fermenting beer? What I tasted pre-bottling ain't bad, but this will spend months bottle conditioning. Have I done long-term damage?

Not a big deal after a week.  A very big deal in the first few days.  Before I had refrigerated temperature control, I have had the same kind of rise after a week and the beer was delightful.  Hard to predict though since a lot of other factors come into play.

However, I am worried about the months of bottle conditioning of a Pliny clone.  that should not age and should be consumed within 6 or 8 weeks of bottling.

jomebrew said:
However, I am worried about the months of bottle conditioning of a Pliny clone.  that should not age and should be consumed within 6 or 8 weeks of bottling.

+1 - hoppy brews want to be consumed nice and fresh.

With the temp rise I bet your brew won't be quite as good as it could have been, but if it tasted OK at sampling it ought to be fine.

Back