• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gingerbeer

Nickw

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I made a gingerbeer 2 weeks ago, the fermentation is about halfway through and the ginger flavour is not as strong anymore, is there anything I can do to get a bit of the ginger punch back before bottling?

I strained all the ingredients out before I put it in the fermenter and I am regretting it now  :-\

Adding a few pieces of fresh ginger should add the punch back.

You can make some long, thin peeled strips to increase the surface area. Then flash pasteurize the strips (it won't pull much out of the ginger) by using 170F water and dipping the ginger in it for 1 minute.

Use tongs to keep it submerged and then immediately add the strips to the beer.

Don't go overboard with the pasteurization. The ginger doesn't need to be boiled or given more hot water contact time. Pasteurization above 162 happens in less than 1 minute and the temperature I gave you is high enough to keep heat going into the ginger without breaking it down and loosing flavor.

Cool thanks I will try that, how much ginger should I add, got 22 liters.

Back