• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Estimate Gravity with 'Top up water for kettle' and 'Top up Water'

chesl

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'd like to brew a larger batch (BIAB) than my kettle would normally allow on a normal full volume BIAB.
Assume I want a brew with an OG of 1.053.
I can add the extra grain etc and mash a higher gravity wort (let's call this mash gravity for this example) and then before the boil add 'top up water for kettle' (pre-boil OG) and then I can also add water via 'Top up Water' in the equipment profile (which will dilute again the gravity).

I have this equipment and recipe in BS2 and all looks good in terms of volume estimates and grain bill etc.
What I don't have is the gravity estimates (which I would like) for each stage pre and post dilutions.
I don't suppose I can get these?
ie,
The figures should be something like:
end of mash gravity ~ 1.110
add top up water to kettle and now pre boil gravity ~ 1.062
end of boil gravity now ~ 1.072
add top up water and OG ~ 1.053

The only value I can currently see is 1.053, what about the rest, any chance I'm missing something and these are available?

Thanks

You can add more water but the gravity estimate is based on your overall brewhouse efficiency number (not the volumes) so you may get slightly less efficiency using this method and need to lower the efficiency number a bit to account for this.

Brad

Back