• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BS Kindle update messed up the screen

ChrisS

Brewer
Reaction score
Amazon App Store informed me I needed to update my BS2 for Kindle. So I updated to v2.2.48 (includes BJCP 2015 styles) and now the fonts are way smaller than they used to be and, even more annoying, I now have a big black square in the upper right corner of the screen that never goes away.  Help!

Chris,
  I have one other person reporting this problem.  Interestingly I've not posted an update to the kindle version since last Spring so I'm wondering why it suddenly appeared.  I suspect it may have been an update to the Kindle and not the app that created the problem.  The app has no formatting that would explain the blank black square that I know of.

What type of Kindle are you running?  I'm going to fire mine up here in the meantime to try to figure out where this is coming from.

Brad

Brad,
Thanks for checking in. Sorry it took a while to get back. I have a Kindle HD 7 (system version 7.5.1). A few days before my initial post, the Amazon App Store informed me that there were about 6 apps that I needed to "manually update", BS2 among them. I've never gotten a notice like this before so it may be a new feature from a recent Kindle update. Anyway, I hit the update button and it went through all the steps to retrieve and install the update. It said the update was mainly for th new BJCP 2015 styles. The other apps all updated with no problem.

But now I have this black box near the upper right corner of the screen. It stays in the exact same location no matter whether I am scrolling a page or going into different functions within BS. What I have noticed is that if I tap on an inactive part of the screen (i.e. somewhere that doesn't activate a function or menu like the title bar) the box disappears and then reappears when I tap again.

The program functions fine and all my recipes are still intact. The only other thing different is that all the fonts are significantly smaller than they were previously, although they are still legible. The program indicates it is now version 2.2.48. Mostly, it's just annoying. I still have full functionality but I'd rather not have the box on my screen. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

That is very odd.  As I mentioned I've not made any updates or changes to the Kindle version since late last Spring.

I've got an older Kindle here I can try to check this on.  I have no idea what would cause the box.

Brad

Is there a way I can reinstall over it or delete and reinstall without losing my recipes?

My recommendation would be to copy them all to the cloud first so you have a backup.  However on the Android version I don't think removing the app will remove the data - but I still recommend the backup just in case.

Brad

Back