• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Suddenly, most of my batches turned sour

Flashpanhunter

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first time here, in this forum. I have an odd problem.
We (my partners and I) brewed all grain for quite a while, and most of the batches were not bad (some even were excellent IMHO). Couple of years a go we bought a huge stainless steel kettle (100 Litres) instead of our regular aluminium 30 litres and 85 litres picnic cooler for the mash. Since then things have started to go sour, literally. We used to cool down the wort by adding ice and cold water (as done with extract), and for some reason we never used a siphon, but a direct spill. With the former pot we never had a problem with that lack of sanitary, which now I understand that was almost a crime to the beer, but doing the same procedure with the new pot caused us troubles. We are using 75% Alcohol to sanitise our equipment, and recently learned that we should add water to reduce it to 45% in order to improve sanitation.
After few sour batches we tried to brew small batches with another 25 litres kettle (not aluminium but stainless steel) and all of those batches but the last were excellent. The last one had a disturbing issue: When we bottled the beer it tasted good, and the good taste remained for three or four weeks. And then it turned sour again.
On our last brew we used a siphon and a chiller, as well as silicone hose in order to move the wort from the fermentation barrel (30 litres polycarbonate barrel) to the pouring barrel, with the tap and the siphon.
We fermented in two barrels (the sum of 50 litres). The first barrel to be filled went a bit sour after a week and complete vinegar after two weeks in the bottle. The second barrel was good and the beer after 3 weeks in the bottles was excellent, with lovely head and full body. but two weeks later it also turned sour.
We are really confused. Is it possible that our dextrose is infected? Is it possible that our kettle has an infection? We did use Quaternary ammonium before the last batch to sanitise the equipment and the bottles. Yet we still used alcohol before bottling, after the ammonium sanitation few weeks before.
What can cause a sourness to develop few weeks after bottling?
Thank you,
Adi

Everything that touches the wort after the boil must be clean, and then just before you use it sanitised. If you rinse your bottles after sanitizing then they are no longer sanitized. Use a no rinse sanitizer like Star San and get new bottles.

Search the forum for "sanitation" or "infected beer." It's a topic that has been covered  many times.

At the very least I'd suggest you pitch anything plastic that comes into contact with the brew after it is chilled. Replace it, and make sure to clean it thoroughly with hot water immediately after use. Mist it with StarSan after it is dry, and then store it in something clean like a fresh trash bag once the StarSan dries.

Back