• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cost per pound values

Wframm

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to enter costs for ingredients such as from a list?  If you update the cost within the recipe it reverts back to what is already there in the ingredients table.  Changing $ values is time consuming when you are looking for a good ball park cost of the batch.

Go to 'ingredients' >> 'grains' and enter the price there for your materials.  This is the database each recipe draws from.  You can then go to your recipes and in the 'design' tab hit 'update prices' and the new prices will appear in the recipe.

BeerSmith considers each recipe to be a self-contained unit.  It will not update your master file of ingredients from a change within a recipe.  This way, your data within a recipe will be preserved until you choose to change or update it.

Ok I understand your answer but I was looking for a way to update the cost per lb. data for all the grain and other ingredients in the ingredients table either when the add-on is used or for the initial list.  My retail prices may be $2.29 per lb. while the list in Beersmith tables shows $1.15 per lb. for example.  Do you have to manually update each ingredient price one at a time or is there a way to update them all at once from a spreadsheet file? I can use a catalog to find the current prices and create a file with the new list price.  I just would like to get a better ball bark cost for the batch.  I may look at several recipes and would update costs for them but the current prices are too low for me. Maybe there is a master list of grain prices that could be used as an add-on that would refresh prices based on a Northern Brewer Supply catalog.

Wframm said:
Do you have to manually update each ingredient price one at a time or is there a way to update them all at once from a spreadsheet file?

At this time, there isn't an import function for updating ingredients. It would be useful and welcome, that's for sure.

Additionally, BeerSmith isn't linked to any supplier. I don't think that would be the best solution, either.

Back