• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Haze

mando417

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have brewed a couple of batches where I added hops after the boil and after I chilled the wort down a little but not to pitching temperature and I've noticed that I'm getting some haze similar to dry hop haze and I was just wondering if this is normal because of the temprature I added the hops or something I else I haven't considered

Do you cold crash?  I've gone to doing a lot of hop steeping after the boil over the past two years and have not noticed much of a difference in clarity.  That may be due to the fact that I cold crash for 3 to 4 days before bottling.

I haven't tried cold crashing yet because I bottle condition I was concerned about having enough yeast for carbonating

I just looked up cold crashing then bottling and it looks like you don't have to worry about the yeast so I'll give that a try thanks

I've never had any issue with bottle carbonation following cold crashing.  You don't need a lot of yeast in suspension to carbonate.

Yeah that's what I read I was also thinking it could be the amount of hops I added because I added 3 and 4 ounces or maybe I didn't have a hard enough boil to drop the proteins out but I'll try the cold crash this time and a more vigorous boil next batch

I also use Irish moss in the boil (added at 10 to 15 minutes before the end of the boil) to coagulate the proteins. 

Yup me too I'm still getting haze but like I said I'll try cold crashing my biggest concern was the amount of hops and the temperature I put them in at which was about 120 Fahrenheit

I just thought that maybe I was was getting the haze from the hops cause of the low temperature and maybe it was the same type of haze you get from dry hopping

Back