• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello from Stockholm, Sweden!

ashenback

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers!

This was the best christmas in my life, when I came home on christmas day there my wife stood with a big box with the name Speidel on it.
I had been talking about starting brewing beer and was planning on buying regular pot equipment, but she beat me to it :)

So now I have a spanking new 20L Braumeister and are trying to read up on recepies, do's and dont's when it comes to brewing.

First up, I want to make a regular Pale Ale and have some stuff already:
_Malt_
5kg of Pilsnermalt (Sweden)
5kg of Pale Ale (Belgium)
1kg of Havremalt (Sweden) -- Oat malt
1kg of Cara Gold (England)
1kg of CaraBlond 20 (Belgium)

_Hops_
100g Mosaic pellets 12.8% Alpha
100g Citra pellets 13.2% Alpha
100g Simcoe leaves 14.0% Alpha
100g Columbus leaves 12.4% Alpha

_Yeast_
1 bag of dry Lallemand Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast @ 11g

My first take on a recipe was this:
15L water
3kg pilsmalt
500g Cara Gold
Mash for 60 mins @ 65C
Boil 60 mins
10g Columbus @ 60 mins
10g Mosaic @ 45 mins
5g Mosaic @ 10 mins
5g Simcoe @ 10 mins
5g Mosaic @ 0 mins
5g Simcoe @ 0 mins
5g Columbus @ 0 mins

No dry hopping.

I tried to put this into the BeerSmith desktop app, but couldn't find all the ingredients.

But I would like some input on the recipe, any takes on IBU, ABV and sugerlevels (as in suger taste) when it's done?

Happy Brew Year also 2016!

Wow,  a great Christmas indeed!  Welcome to the hobby!  Unfortunately,  I don't have any experience with the malts you are using,  and I use Beersmith for all my recipes. What were you unable to find?  Have you checked the add one?  I am pretty sure you can create your own, but I haven't needed to yet. I would assume you can find the required data onl8ne to enter into beersmith...

If you are unable to find some of the malts that are available to you, check with the maltster for specifications and add them into your grain profiles.

Thanks for the responses.
@Oginme
I will check the malters for the specifications of the malts, and add them to the db.
If I add them, will they become available for everybody else, because I like to be able to share that information?

@jrowland74
There were three things I couldn't find in BerrSmith:
Lallemand Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast @ 11g.
And the two Swedish malts, but I will try to add them my self instead.

I tried to add the yeast this morning, but I could not figure out all the values to put it. I don't know enough about yeast to add it.

Merry Christmas, happy new year and congratulations with  getting your own brewing kit!  ;D

Just after  giving the recipe a quick look, what first cross my mind is that if I was going to make a Pale Ale I would not use Pilsner malt at all. As a common rule I would only use pilsner (pilsen) malt for a pilsner or a crisp lager, as this particular type of malt tends to have a crisper flavor. It is not that your beer will turn out bad, but I would suggest going for only pale ale malt as the base for an ale for a fuller flavor :) .

Also, looking at the amount of grains and water you are planning on using I would suggest scaling down the recipe a bit otherwise it seems like you could end up with a really thick mash, which means that you wouldn't get as much sugars out of your grains as you would like to or would end up adding a lot of water during sparging to match the gravity of the pale ale you are trying to make :)

I do not know the holding volume of your boiling kettle, and so having that volume would complicate things a little bit.

If you ellaborate a little bit on you equipment I could probably give more feedback (fermentor volume, boiling kettle volume and so on...)

Try to aim for a water to grains ratio of 3 - 3.5 liters water per kilo grain. Doing that and having your pots/kettles volume at hand can guide you on how much grains you should use for your beer :).

Feel free to ask anything else on brewing. I am somehow familiar with Brewsmith as well, but have not used it that much.

Cheers from a Mexican in Denmark! hehe

Back