• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BRoke my Hydrometer in my fermenter

Bogey

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Yup, feel stupid but it happened  :( .  It was a clean break with majority of broken glass pieces found.  Hydrometer is made of steel balls and wax.  Can I safely rack above it and salvage my batch?

I would speculate you could leave a gallon of beer behind and with it, all solids from the hydro; however, the manufacturing process left unknown residues on the inside pieces of the hydro, and that's now mixed with the beer.  Just to be safe, I'd probably dump as well.

Ouch, that's a tough one, sorry to hear.  The glass breaks in to super tiny little pieces... this is experience talking.  I lost over a half dozen hydrometers, fortunately never in the brew.  I'd suggest you pick up a refractometer.  It'll pay itself off in about 2 lost hydrometers.

Hi Bogey. Just loved some of your movies BTW.

Unfortunately you've found out the hard way, but good sanitary practice suggests you should never have your hydrometer/refractometer etc near your fermenter. I'd suggest you draw a sample through the tap and measure the SG well away from the FV. It's a very hard way to learn the lesson, but I bet you'll never forget it now.

The big pieces will likely be stuck in the sludge, but bubbles of CO2 produced by the yeast can give buoyancy to little shards. They could be at the top in the foam or even floating around in the middle. I wouldn't risk drinking it.

Back