• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beginning Kegging Question

gvhorwitz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just kegged for the first time, and am happy with the results. I guess my only question is what do you do with the setup in between drinks?

It seems a silly question, but I drink only one glass a day and I'm not sure if I keep the system hooked up to the tap and just keep it pressurized or disconnect the beer out (which would seem to invite infection).

What do you folks do?

Thanks

Greg

As long as you have no leaks, keeping everything hooked up shouldn't be a problem. Speaking of which, I've got to go downstairs and clean a couple inches of beer out of my cooler. It's got a leak.

Keg gaskets are like batteries..they are fine one minute and crappy the next. What works for me is to carbonate to the level of CO2 you want, vent, set CO2 to 3-5 PSI or so and then turn off gas to the keg. I have a 3-pass manifold and only bump it when necessary. A 10 lb tank of gas lasts me 3-5 months at least and I brew 150-200 gallons a year.

My $.02,

Mark

Back