• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Airlock Vacuum...

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I recently brewed a belgian quad and decided that I would cold condition it for two months after a month of primary. I have it sitting around 45-50 degrees. Obviously with the drop in temperature, a vacuum has formed and the solution in my airlock (Star San) has been sucked down into the beer. Not concerned about that since my batch is 5.5 gallons. I have a little solution left inside but the airlock cap that floats is all the way down. My concern is that air is getting in.

I thought that perhaps the pressure had stabilized, so I topped the solution off with water and sure enough it got sucked back in to the same low level. I assume that I shouldn't add more water to the lock since it seems like the pressure isn't stabilized.

Should I be concerned with air getting in? If it is, can I do something about it? For future batches that I cold condition, is there something that I can do before hand to not run into this problem?

I use the S-shaped airlocks for prolonged storage while trying to minimize head space.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/317DNT%2B1wfL._SY355_.jpg

Maine Homebrewer said:
I use the S-shaped airlocks for prolonged storage while trying to minimize head space.

I've read that these get sucked back in too. Have you not had a problem with this?

jtoots said:
I just spray in more StarSan as the temp stabilizes.

Continuously add water/StarSan until it stops getting sucked in? Not concerned with adding a lot of that over time?

Cold condition in a corny keg with  CO2 pressure, you are 100 percent sure never to have that happen. Your quad should be fine, I would say enough alcohol present  to prevent spoilage and not enough fermentables left in there. A light lager may have off flavour issues with that tho'

bobo1898 said:
Continuously add water/StarSan until it stops getting sucked in? Not concerned with adding a lot of that over time?

I cold crash over a period of a couple days, usually something like this:
drop to 10 degrees C.  Once it hits this temp, top off airlock.
drop to 3 degrees C.  Once it hits temp, top off airlock.
drop to -1 degree C.  Top off one more time.
Nope, I don't worry about a couple shots worth of StarSan in over 5 gallons of beer.  I don't think it would have any effect before, during or certainly after fermentation is complete.

Back